We offer a range of services to students at the Sunshine Coast Regional Campus, from career, academic and personal counselling to testing and learning support.
Heather Ingram is the Academic Advisor for the Sunshine Coast campus. We encourage you to set up an appointment with Heather if you need help choosing a program or course, have questions about prerequisites, transcripts, etc. (see below. You can book an appointment through our receptionist at the front desk, in person or by calling 604 885 9310. Appointments are typically 1/2 or 1 hour long.
If you have an urgent issue and the Sunshine Coast Advisor is unavailable, please call the advising office at the North Vancouver campus at 604 984 4990
Advising services include:
- providing prospective and current students with educational planning consistent with career goals
- assisting prospective and current students in making course selections consistent with career goals
- assisting students in planning their transfer to other institutions
- providing admission and course planning workshops to prospective students
- providing the general public with information on Capilano University programs
- Visiting local high schools to provide information on Capliano University programs and assisting students in their transition from high school to post-secondary education
Confidential, free counseling services are available to our students at the Sunshine Coast Campus. Consultation is also provided to faculty and staff. Counseling services are provided by highly trained and caring counselors, knowledgeable about student concerns and ways to be of help. We encourage you to set up an appointment with our counselor, Jules Smith. You can book an appointment through our receptionist at the front desk, in person, or by calling 604 885 9310. Appointments are typically an hour long.
If you have an emergency and the Sunshine Coast Counselor is unavailable, you may call the Counseling office at our North Vancouver campus @604 984 1744. Local crisis services are also listed below.
- Crisis Line Daytime (Sunshine Coast only): Monday-Friday 8:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m. at 604 885 6101
- After Hours Crisis (Sunshine Coast only): Monday-Friday 3:30 p.m.-10 p.m. and Weekends 8:30 a.m. – 10 p.m. at 604 740 0442
- Overnight Crisis Line – Crisis Centre in Vancouver – Toll Free 1 866 661 3311
- St. Mary's Hospital at Sechelt: 604 885 2224
Counselling services include:
- Career Counseling to assist students and prospective students in deciding on a career. Sometimes students have trouble deciding on a career, feel unsure, confused or lack motivation. Counseling and testing can help students by exploring their interests, aptitudes, abilities, values and career goals.
- Short-term Personal Counseling to help students that are experiencing personal problems which are affecting their ability to succeed in university. Counselors can help students clarify issues, overcome obstacles and find effective ways of dealing with their problems. Counselors can also refer students to community agencies for further assistance. Examples of some common concerns that students seek help for are depression, anxiety, stress, family problems, self-esteem, and relationship issues.
- Academic Counseling offered to help students with issues related to their academic performance. Students often require assistance for concerns such as test anxiety, procrastination, or time management.
- Workshops and Outreach Programs offered on a variety of topics such as career exploration, stress management, student success, goal setting, time management, and assertiveness training to name a few.
Financial assistance is available through grants, loans, bursaries and scholarships. A Financial Aid officer visits throughout the academic year. For more Information or to set up an appointment, please call reception at 604 885 9310.
Sunshine Coast Campus Award of Excellence
Thanks to the generosity of the Sunshine Coast Community a scholarship is now available specifically for students attending the Sunshine Coast campus. You may qualify for the scholarship if you are a resident of the region taking credit courses at the Sunshine Coast campus. Contact the Sunshine Coast campus at 604 885 9310 or the Financial Aid Office in North Vancouver at 604 984 4900 for details.
Travis Cripps Memorial Bursary
This award is to help current Capilano University students who have benefited from the Adult Basic Education program to further their education, either on a full or part-time basis. Preference is given to residents of the Sunshine Coast.
The Ministry of Education discontinued the GED® program at the end of 2014. GED® testing sessions are no longer offered.
If you require high school upgrading, consider taking courses through the Adult Basic Education program.
Applicants planning to enrol in any Arts and Sciences course at Capilano University must take Capilano University's English Diagnostic Test (EDT).
Students will be exempted from the EDT if they have achieved any of the following:
- A in English 12 or English Literature 12
- A in English 12 First Peoples
- A in BENG 052
- 4 or higher in an Advanced Placement course in English Composition or English Literature
- 5 or higher in the International Baccalaureate course in English A1
- C- or higher in an English transfer course form another college or university
- C or higher in FAL X99 from SFU
- a degree from an English-speaking university
Call reception at 604 885 9310 to schedule a test.
The Sunshine Coast campus has a room available with tables, chairs, study kiosks and 9 computers for public use. The Learning Commons is open Monday to Friday from 9 a.m. until 4:30 p.m.